Thursday 13 October 2011

Left over pastry

A couple of days ago I made my upside down beetroot pie, and it uses a small amount of puff pastry, and so I had some left over.

So my daughter is coming over for supper tomorrow and I thought we would be a little indulgent, hazelnut palmiers and apple plaits.

Palmiers are simplicity themselves, just roll out pastry, brush with egg to stick the ingredients, throw on all sorts of good things, hazelnuts, brown sugar, dried fruit whatever takes your fancy roll up from both sides to meet in the middle and then slice up and lay slices on a baking tin glaze and bake.

I used chopped roasted hazelnuts and my home made vanilla sugar as my filling.

Mine are particularly small and dainty, but you can make these a lot bigger.


The apple plaits are not much more difficult, the filling is a compote that I made a while ago from the Egremont russet apples in our garden, we have been having it in a varity of forms, with yoghurt for breakfast has been good, but it is getting a little old now, and we were not going to finish it in time, so I used it all up with the left over pastry to make my plaits.  They are glued and glazed with beaten egg and sprinkled with vanilla sugar.

This is my favourite type of recycling, delicious food and next to no work.
 



When it is time to serve, I will whip of the cling and warm them up in the oven...  And serve with something yummy, ice cream, cream, boozy whipped cream, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment